Thursday, June 30, 2011

Adventure #28: Snorkling in the Caribbean

Me, saying hi to my long lost friends, the tropical fish that I have always loved.


Snorkeling in the Caribbean at Yalku was one of my favorite adventures because it rekindled a passion I have always had for the ocean and tropical fish. Even though I grew up in the mountain region of Utah, I have always craved swimming in the ocean surrounded by a full array of colorful fish in odd shapes and sizes. As it is with most things, it is their color that catches my attention and draws me in, but it is their seemingly playful nature that endears them.


In my younger years I dreamed of having a giant (two story high) circular tropical fish tank that would fit in the center of my house with a spiral staircase climbing around it; or, a fish tank in place of each window so when you looked out you could see all kinds of fish swimming in the air.
I also dreamed of living in Hawaii so I could swim with the fish every day. When I found out BYU had a college in Hawaii I knew I would go there, and I did. My roommate, Julie Brown, and I painted fish on our walls (with tempera paint of course). I loved snorkeling in Hanauma Bay where there was such a variety of fish swimming in every direction and nibbling at your feet.
Once I returned home from attending college in Hawaii, I missed my little friends, so I painted more fish on the sunflower wallpaper on the bathroom walls of my parent's home (this time in acrylic paint, to my parents' surprise). I soon took a scuba class and had a blast swimming with dolphins and seals at La Bufadora in Mexico.

It has been a long time, too long, since I last swam with my little friends, so I was almost giddy to squeeze into a wet suit and jump in with my snorkel.



I love adventures that bring back that childhood wonder and excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment