Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Adventure #24: Cenote Swimming

I like caves, I like water and diving, so of course I loved cenotes.
Found in the Yukatan Peninsula, Cenotes are a deep natural well or sinkhole formed by the collapse of surface limestone that exposes ground water underneath, and sometimes used by the ancient Mayans for sacrificial offerings. The sense of an ancient danger only added to the adventure.

We were lucky enough to have Clint and Jeni as our guides who knew the best places to go. We were able to jump in and swim through three cenotes: Gran Cenote, Dos Ojos, and Temple of Doom.

The Gran Cenote was a beautiful setting with root systems growing down through the ground into the cave and water source. When you stuck your face in the water to snorkel it was amazing to see the roots and stalactites creating another world.


Dos Ojos required water flashlights as we swam under stalactites drooping down like icicles. When we passed through a narrow passageway to another cavern bats flew over our heads in the six inches of clearance. I felt some rustle my hair as they passed. Although I wanted to scream, I refrained so as not to stir a larger flock of bats into a frenzy. Sooo cool!

The Temple of Doom was an open hole you got to jump into and fall to the water below. There were a few smaller openings in the ground surrounding the main hole. If you weren't watching, you could easily fall unexpectedly. Imagine the poor guy who originally found the place.


This is where I drove Todd crazy when I wanted him to reenact the first man to find the Temple of Doom as he walked through the jungle. He wanted to throw me in I think:)



Todd's awesome jump through one of the small holes at the Temple of Doom.


It was fun to see scuba divers coming through small holes at the bottom of a cenote as they navigated from one cavern to another. It would be fascinating to see how they all connect. I loved my first cenote adventure! Maybe someday I'll get back to visit more and perhaps even try out the scuba gear.

Thanks Clint and Jeni for sharing an amazing part of the world with us! And thanks Jason and Dawn for all the laughter and fun company.

No comments:

Post a Comment