Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Adventure #26: Climbing a Mayan Ruin

Coba is one of the most rustic and important archaeological sites in the Yukatan Peninsula and it is where we climbed 120 STEEP stairs see spectacular jungle views. I am glad we had the opportunity because we were some of the last visitors allowed to climb the pyramid. Unfortunately, a child fell and died a few days before our visit causing the government to stop foot traffic. We were able to sneak up while the paperwork was in process. I'm not sure, but I think there no longer any pyramids in the area that allow you  to climb. So sad!

It was a little intimidating as the stairs were about as deep as my fist and so steep they almost required a rope and harness.

The other fun part of the adventure was getting to the pyramid on old warn bikes. I loved riding through the jungle on bumpy dirt roads over tree roots!

We also made it to Talum where you can't climb anything or ride bikes, but the views are spectacular as the pyramids overlooked the ocean. If I were a Mayan, I would chose to live at Talum and visit cousins in Coba.

No comments:

Post a Comment