Sunday, June 26, 2011

Adventure #15: Ice Water Rafting

I've always wanted to go white water river rafting in June when the rapids are
their best. Boy, did I get my wish this year with the snow run off and the highest
water levels they've had in 28 years. 

Back row: Danielle and Jeff Hendricks, Kathy Stevens, Ken and Ginger Parkinson, Wendell Eames, John Stevens, Dan Singer, Michelle Fowkes, Tanya, Jason and Dawn Douglas, David and Jill Smart; Front row: Tonya Fischio (me!), Tiffany Singer, Juliet Eames

The water was colder than I drink out of my fridge!!! But, I have to admit, I've never had so much fun (second half) on a cloudy day with intermittent rain and 40 degree water.

We did the scenic trip for 13 miles in the morning and froze our keesters off even though this was the dry part of the trip. We ended up huddling a little and playing two truths and a lie to keep warm and distracted from our numbing fingers. At least now I have some good dirt on my neighbors:) Can you guess who was the national clogging champ, who stole a car from a gas station (they claim it was accidental, hmmm) and whose ex-girlfriend now performs as an exotic dancer?


That's me with the oars!









After the scenic trip we returned to Mad River headquarters where we changed into our Matrix wet suits. Wish we had of had these the whole time!




We were loving the afternoon on white water! The rapids were fun and the wet suits kept us dry. We were lucky to have Wayne who has been guiding for 19 years and has never flipped on Lunch Box Counter.  Bring on the waves!



I highly recommend Mad River for anyone going down the Snake. They have been in business the longest, their guides were fantastic and they serve you a steak dinner when you pull off half way down the rapids. If you get a chance... GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment