Thursday, July 7, 2011

Adventure #37: Paint My Childhood Rocker

Mike Swenson aka, the Clever Craftsman, paints furniture in these amazing colors that cry out my name every time I drive by his house and the door to his workshop is open. The sight of torquoise, lime green, orange, yellow and red make me start to salivate. I have added several pieces to my house like the lime green telephone chair that I LOVE and now sits in my entry way.

So, when I wanted the adventure of painting the little rocking chair from my childhood turquoise, he was the natural go-to guy. Mike was great to show me the way.

This chair was special to me because my parents gave it to me for Christmas back when I was little enough that my bum actually fit in it. I have spent hours of my life rocking and playing with this chair. When I wasn't rocking in it, I would carefully place my Raggedy Anne doll that Grandma Harkins made for me by hand.

Now that many years have passed, it is time to give it a fresh look and of course I have to paint it my life-long favorite color: turquoise.

This color is delicious!
First we got out the sandpaper and broke through a little so the paint would stick.

Then I lathered on the delicious blue. I decided to only do one coat since I liked how some of the dark stain was coming through.

We let it dry for a day or two and then it was back to the sandpaper until we had a finished product.




I can't wait to share the chair with my little girls now.

1 comment:

  1. Rocker turned out great and you are a natural! If we weren't such good friends, I seriously would be threatened that you would take away business...thanks for letting me be a part of your quest...

    ReplyDelete