Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Adventure #35: Serving Food to the Homeless

I have always admired Margie and Andrea as both women are amazing in so many ways; but then, when I found out they both go to the Food and Care Coalition to serve lunch to the homeless each week, well let's just say they are superstars in my eyes. So, it was an honor to go as Margie's double the week she was out of town. Andrea showed me the ropes and got me set up with an apron and gloves.

We served sloppy joes, cheesy mac, apple sauce, and such. I was the one taking the trays out to everyone in the dining room -- ladies and children first :) I was impressed by how polite and grateful the patrons were. I loved the little kids who patiently waited for their food with big smiles.

The chefs who work there everyday are amazing. They make up each meal by what is donated (they can always use more donations!) so they have to be very creative. In the summer, they have an outdoor garden they utilize for fresh produce. Ken is known for doctoring up a donated cheese pizza with fresh tomatoes and basil. Sounds good right now.

It was a great adventure and one I hope to repeat with my family soon! Thanks to Ken and Dave for all your dedicated hours to make a difference in people's lives. Thanks Andrea for always being the great friend you are -- you make me laugh so hard it hurts every time I talk to you. Thanks Margie for helping me get it set up and letting me step in your shoes for a day (they are mighty big ones!). Thanks to all those who came for lunch, you made it a grand adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment